Love is patient, love is kind.
It is not jealous, is not pompous, it is not inflated. It is not rude, it does not seek its own interests,
It is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury.
It does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth.
It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never fails.
1 Corinthians 13:4-8
** Please note that a $100 non-refundable deposit must be made when booking your wedding **
THE OFFICIATING PRIEST OR MINISTER
The officiating priest is responsible for the wedding paperwork. Any priest or deacon not from St. Luke Parish or the presence of a non-Catholic minister requires approval from the pastor. All paperwork must be completed and returned to the Parish Office at least 2 weeks prior to the wedding.
PREMARITAL FORMATION SESSIONS
Arrangements must be made to meet with the priest or deacon from St. Luke who will witness the marriage or prepare the engaged couple for marriage. During the meeting, the prenuptial investigation will be conducted.
The instructions required by Archdiocesan policy may be fulfilled through Engaged Encounter weekends or pre-cana sessions. The schedule for these sessions is on the Archdiocese of Newark website:
Arrangements for these instructions need to be made as soon as the wedding date has been chosen.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED BY CHURCH LAW
- A new, updated copy of baptismal certificates, obtained from church of baptism, not dated more than 6 months prior to wedding date for each Catholic party. The original or a new copy is acceptable for a non-Catholic party. The original will be returned after photocopies are made.
- A pre-cana certificate
- If any dispensations are needed, the priest will discuss during scheduled meetings.
The marriage license is applied for in the municipality of the residence of the bride. If a couple resides out of New Jersey, the license must be obtained in the Borough of Ho-Ho-Kus. Since 72 hours are needed for the license to be issued, the license needs to be obtained 2 weeks prior to the wedding date. Once granted, it is valid for 30 days, and will be filed by the priest at the Borough of Ho-Ho-Kus Registrar office.
Two types of witnesses are acceptable:
- For the ceremony: The best man and the maid/matron of honor are the legal and canonical witnesses for the marriage.
- For the Freedom to Marry: If the priest does not know the couple on a personal basis, witnesses need to be provided who can testify to the freedom to marry. Two witnesses for each party are required.
Two wedding liturgies are available:
- NUPTIAL MASS (for marriages between two active Catholics)
- WEDDING CEREMONY (No mass; for marriages involving a non-Catholic)
A copy of the booklet “Together for Life” is available from the Parish Office to help planning and preparation of the wedding.
DATES AND TIMES
Saturdays: 11:00 am, 3:00 pm
Sundays: 2:00 pm or 3:00 pm (No Mass) Weekdays Depending on availability Nuptial Masses are prohibited by liturgical law on certain days. Please consult with the priest or deacon.
Music for the wedding must reflect the sacrament of Matrimony. The following is quoted from the Vatican document “Music in Catholic Worship”: “Great care should be taken, especially at marriages, that all the people are involved in the important moments of the celebration, that the same general principles of the planning worship and judging music are operative as at other liturgies, and above all, that the liturgy is a prayer for all present, not a theatrical production.”
The Director of Music Ministry is responsible for the music at all weddings. Cantors and instrumentalists are contracted through the Music Minister. A bench fee in the full amount must be paid if outside organists are used. If rehearsal time is needed, additional fees will be required.
Please contact the Parish Office for floral guideline policies. Depending on the liturgical season, the church may already be decorated for Easter, Christmas, Lent, Advent, etc. No unity candles are allowed.